"Don't let anyone put you down because you're young. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity." 1 Timothy 4:12

Thursday, September 3, 2009

21 Day Challenge- Day Four

The meaning of the word 'integrity'is-firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values
Check out this story for today: It was the Summer of my 8th grade year. Now that I was 14, my parents wanted me to bring in some cash of my own. I was still too young to get a "real" job, so I chose the honorable profession of lawn maintenance! After going door to door, I landed a gig for a nice old man named Mr Thomas. I was so excited! It was my first job! This guy was going to pay me ten bucks!
It took me almost 2 hours to do it right. Afterwards, I looked across that yard with great pride. It was a job well done.
I knocked on the door to tell Mr. Thomas that I was finished. "How much do I owe you?" he said. "Ten dollars, sir," I replied. Mr. Thomas pulled out his wallet. I had never seen so much cash in my life! He thumbled through $20's and $50's and loads of $100 bills.
But Mr. Thomas couldn't see very well in his old age. When he stopped thumbing he tugged on a $100 bill and asked, "Is this a ten?" I could not believe my ears!
All I had to do was say "yes" and I would have ten times as much money! No one would ever know. Besides, he had so much money, he'd never miss it!
That split second seemed to last forever, but before I could think twice about it, I said, "No, sir." He found a real $10 bill and that was that.


They say integrity is about what you do when no one is looking. In the story above, Mr. Thomas was looking, but he just couldn't see. No one knew the good decision the boy made that day.... no one, except God. And God never forgets the things we do in private to honor Him.

**Read Psalm 26:1-3**
It says: 1"Declare me innocent, O Lord,for I have acted with integrity; I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. 2Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me.Test my motives and my heart. 3For I am always aware of your unfailing love,and I have lived according to your truth."(New Living Translation)

Having integrity may not seem to pay off right away. It may even hurt at first. But as you trust God, He will vindicate you or "declare you innocent." He never forgets when His children honor Him with integrity.
Take time to think through some of the situations in which you'll have to make tough choices when no one is looking (i.e. cheating on homework, looking at inappropriate Internet sites, etc.) Decide right now how you'll maintain your intergrity in those situations.
Spend a few minutes in prayer, praise and listening to God. Ask God to strengthen your inner man today so that you can walk in integrity and honor Him in everything you do and say.

See you tomorrow!!

No comments: